Men's Tennis Falls to Transylvania in HCACs
TERRE HAUTE, IND. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology completed its 17th consecutive season with an above .500 record in men's tennis with a 5-2 loss to Transylvania University in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament Semifinal Match on Saturday at West Indy Racquet Club.
The Fightin' Engineers finished 10-8 overall and were second in the HCAC regular season standings at 7-1 in league matches. Transylvania avenged a narrow 5-4 loss from the regular season with the HCAC Tournament win and will face Earlham College in the title match on Sunday.
Rose-Hulman won two of the three doubles matches in a strong start to the HCAC Tournament semifinal. The No. 1 team of Brandon Benedict (Indianapolis, Ind./Perry Meridian) and Georges Adam (Barueri, Brazil/Colegio Pentagono) and the No. 3 team of Erin Miller (Stamping Ground, Ky./Scott County) and Ray Montgomery (Terre Haute/South Vigo) each captured victories.
Transylvania responded with four singles victories to capture the 5-2 win, and two matches were unfinished.
On the season, Benedict finished 13-5 at the No. 1 singles position, with Adam tallying a 12-5 mark at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Matthew Conrad (Anderson, Ind./Lapel) compiled a 10-7 singles mark at the No. 3 spot.
In doubles play, Rose-Hulman's top teams were Benedict and Adam at No. 1 doubles (14-4) and Miller and Montgomery at the No. 3 position (12-4).
HCAC TOURNAMENT SEMIFINAL:
Transylvania 5, Rose-Hulman 2
1. Robert Albrecht (TU) def. Brandon Benedict (RHIT) 6-3, 6-1
2. Georges Adam (RHIT) vs. Dylan Conner (TU) unfinished
3. Matthew Conrad (RHIT) vs. Josh Buckman (TU) unfinished
4. Patrick Richardson (TU) def. Nate Moore (RHIT) 7-5, 6-2
5. Stephen Mayborg (TU) def. Erin Miller (RHIT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Reza Haider (TU) def. Joe Kendall (RHIT) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Brandon Benedict/Georges Adam (RHIT) def. Robert Albrecht/Josh Buckman (TU) 8-4
2. Dylan Conner/Patrick Richardson (TU) def. Nate Moore/Matthew Conrad (RHIT) 8-2
3. Erin Miller/Ray Montgomery (RHIT) def. Stephen Mayborg/Reza Haider (TU) 8-4