Men's Tennis Earns Historic 5-4 Win at Transylvania
LEXINGTON, KY. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology earned its first win over Transylvania University in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference era, topping the Pioneers 5-4 on the road on Saturday afternoon.
Rose-Hulman also became the first HCAC team other than Earlham College to defeat Transylvania in 10 years. The Fightin' Engineers also captured their second all-time win and first victory since 2001 against the Pioneers.
Rose-Hulman set the stage early by winning all three doubles matches. The No. 1 team of Brandon Benedict (Indianapolis, Ind./Perry Meridian) and Georges Adam (Barueri, Brazil/Colegio Pentagono), the No. 2 duo of Matt Conrad (Anderson, Ind./Lapel) and Nate Moore (Scottsdale, Ariz.) and the No. 3 team of Erin Miller (Stamping Ground, Ky./Scott County) and Ray Montgomery (Terre Haute/South Vigo) each captured victories.
In singles play, Conrad earned Rose-Hulman's fourth victory of the day. The No. 1 singles match served as Rose-Hulman's final point, with Benedict rallying from one set down to win 6-3, 6-4 over the final two sets.
Rose-Hulman improved to 4-4 overall and 4-0 in HCAC play, while Transylvania dropped to 1-5 and 1-1 in conference matches. The Fightin' Engineers host Franklin in another conference matchup on Sunday at noon.
Rose-Hulman 5, Transylvania 4
1. Brandon Benedict (RHIT) def. Robert Albrecht (TU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Dylan Conner (TU) def. Georges Adam (RHIT) 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3
3. Matthew Conrad (RHIT) def. Josh Buckman (TU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Patrick Richardson (TU) def. Nate Moore (RHIT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Steven Mayborg (TU) def. Erin Miller (RHIT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Reza Haider (TU) def. Joe Kendall (RHIT) 6-4, 6-4
1. Brandon Benedict/Georges Adam (RHIT) def. Robert Albrecht/Josh Buckman (TU) 8-6
2. Matthew Conrad/Nate Moore (RHIT) def. Dylan Conner/Patrick Richardson (TU) 8-5
3. Ray Montgomery/Erin Miller (RHIT) def. Steven Mayborg/Reza Haider (TU) 8-2