TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology standout alumni athletes Sutton Coleman and Liz Evans have been named to the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Athlete of the Decade Team, in results released by the league office.
Coleman and Evans are Rose-Hulman's two recipients on the 20-member HCAC Athlete of the Decade Team. The team was released in conjunction with the 20th anniversary of the HCAC this year. The team includes one male and one female athlete graduating from 2009-18 at each of the 10 conference institutions.
Coleman and Evans were selected as Rose-Hulman's "Athletes of the Decade" based upon a vote of head coaches in the athletic department. The duo will be honored on Saturday Dec. 8 as part of a super sports afternoon on the Rose-Hulman campus. Coleman and Evans will be recognized during the annual Alumni Track and Field Meet starting at noon.
The duo will also be recognized at halftime of the second game in a key HCAC basketball doubleheader featuring Rose-Hulman and Transylvania. The Fightin' Engineers and Pioneers were picked to finish first and second in the HCAC this season according to both preseason coaches polls. The women's game begins at 1 p.m., with the men's game to follow at 3 p.m. on Dec. 8.
Accomplishments of Coleman and Evans are listed below.
Sutton Coleman, Track and Field/Football
- 7-time NCAA Division III All-American in hurdles events
- National runner-up, 60-hurdles indoors in 2012
- 3rd place, 110 hurdles outdoors, 2012
- 4th place, 400 hurdles outdoors, 2011
- Won 14 individual HCAC event championships and member of 7 relay championship teams
- Helped Rose-Hulman win 4 HCAC outdoor championships and 2 HCAC indoor championships
- Football wide receiver with 22 career receptions for 513 yards and 5 touchdowns
Liz Evans, Track and Field
- 5-time NCAA Division III High Jump National Champion
- 8-time NCAA Division III High Jump All-American
- National High Jump finishes: 1st 5X; 2nd 2X; 3rd 1X
- NCAA Division III national record holder with the first 6-foot high jump in D-III history
- Won 11 individual HCAC event championships and member of 5 relay championship teams
- Member of Rose-Hulman's first women's track and field conference championship team (HCAC Indoors 2011)
ATHLETE OF THE DECADE EVENT:
- SATURDAY DECEMBER 8
- Noon – RHIT Alumni Track & Field Indoor Meet – Sutton & Liz will be recognized prior to the meet and most likely compete in the meet. Meet should end approximately 3 pm.
- 3 pm – Public recognition at halftime of the men's basketball game between Rose-Hulman and Transylvania.