TERRE HAUTE, IND. -- The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology women's tennis captured a four-hour battle over Anderson University 6-3 in a tight match at the Joy Hulbert Tennis Center on Wednesday night.
The match started with nearly two hours of doubles play, with pro-sets decided by scores of 9-7, 9-8 and 9-7. Rose-Hulman captured five of the six singles victories to win the match.
Singles winners included senior Marie Stettler (Edgerton, Wis./Edgerton Senior) at No. 1; junior Suzana Mohd (Puchong, Malaysia/Mara University) at No. 2; senior Colleen Stevenson (Stow, Mass./Nashoba Regional) at No. 4; junior Kylie McCollum (Lee's Summit, Mo./West) at No. 5; and sophomore Lauren Miller (Highland, Ill.) at No. 6.
Anderson won two of the three doubles matches, with the tandem of Mohd and McCollum winning a tiebreaker at the No. 2 position.
Rose-Hulman improved to 6-2 overall and 5-2 in HCAC play, while Anderson dropped to 5-5 on the season and 3-3 in league matches. The Fightin' Engineers host Brescia on Saturday and close the HCAC regular season at Mount St. Joseph on Sunday.
Anderson vs Rose-Hulman
10-09-13 at Terre Haute, Ind. (Joy Hulbert Tennis Center)
Rose-Hulman 6, Anderson 3
1. Marie Stettler (RHIT) def. Courtney Postmus (AU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Suzana Mohd (RHIT) def. Sylvia Schring (AU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ashlan Millikan (AU) def. Paige Cook (RHIT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Colleen Stevenson (RHIT) def. Michaela Hurd (AU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Michaela Hammel (AU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Lauren Miller (RHIT) def. Sarah Starshak (AU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Courtney Postmus/Ashlan Millikan (AU) def. Marie Stettler/Paige Cook (RHIT) 9-7
2. Suzana Mohd/Kylie McCollum (RHIT) def. Sylvia Schring/Michaela Hammel (AU) 9-8 (7-2)
3. Kourtney Brubaker/Michaela Hurd (AU) def. Lauren Reberger/Sydney Short (RHIT) 9-7