INDIANAPOLIS, IND. – The No. 3 doubles team of Lauren Reberger and Sydney Short pulled off a thrilling victory to keep the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology women's tennis team in the title hunt, but it wasn't enough top a strong Hanover College team in Saturday's Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships Sunday at West Indy Racquet Club.
Top-seeded Hanover completed its storybook season with a 5-1 victory to capture its first HCAC Tournament title since 2001. The Panthers also won the conference regular season title with an undefeated record, just edging RHIT, 5-4.
After Hanover captured victories at both No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to give the Panthers a 2-0 lead, Reberger (Brazil, Ind./Northview) and Short (Langley, Va./Grafton) pulled off the tiebreaker win to defeated Hanover's Alexis Taylor and Kelsey Jones, 9-8 (3).
But Hanover would go on to win the next three matches in singles to be the first team to five sets and capture the tournament title.
For Rose-Hulman, Sunday marked the fourth time the Engineers played in the HCAC Tournament final.
Rose-Hulman finished the HCAC regular season in a three-way tie for second place with a 6-2 record, but earned the tournament's No. 2 seed via the tiebreaker. The Engineers defeated Franklin 5-0 in Saturday's semifinals to reach the title round.
Rose-Hulman's 9-3 record this season also marks the fewest losses in a season in school history for the Fightin' Engineer women's tennis program.
HANOVER 5, ROSE-HULMAN 1
1. Danielle Miller (H) def. Marie Stettler (RH), 6-1, 6-4
2. Mackenzie Spicer (H) vs. Suzana Mohd (RH), unfinished
3. Alexis Taylor (H) vs. Paige Cook (RH), unfinished
4. Kelsey Jones (H) vs. Colleen Stevenson (RH), unfinished
5. Mallory Noble (H) def. Kylie McCollum (RH), 6-1, 6-2.
6. Allison Poston (H) def. Lauren Miller (RH), 6-3, 6-4.
1. Danielle Miller/Mackenzie Spicer (H) def. Marie Stettler/Paige Cook (RH), 8-6.
2. Mallory Noble/Allison Poston (H) def. Suzana Mohd/Kylie McCollum (RH), 8-5.
3. Lauren Reberger/Sydney Short (RH) def. Alexis Taylor/Kelsey Jones (H), 9-8 (3).