TERRE HAUTE, Ind. - The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology baseball team will continue its playoff push on Senior Day against Anderson University on Saturday May 5. The Fightin' Engineers have surged up to third place in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference standings following a weekend sweep at Bluffton University. Anderson sits comfortably in second place. In addition to their quest to lock up a spot in the upcoming HCAC baseball tournament, Rose-Hulman will also honor its four seniors.
Rose-Hulman News & Notes (15-21, 8-7 HCAC)
* Rose-Hulman would secure a bid to next week's HCAC Tournament with one win on Saturday. With two wins, RHIT would secure the No. 3 seed; otherwise seeding will be finalized on Sunday.
* The Fightin' Engineers are 8-7 in HCAC play this season and have gone 7-3 over the past 10 conference games.
* Rose swept Bluffton this past weekend by final scores of 7-4 and 7-1.
* RHIT starting pitcher Luke Buehler was named HCAC Pitcher of the Week on Monday after his 16 strikeout perforamce against the Beavers this past weekend. Buehler and reliever Dan Connolly combined for 19 strikeouts, snapping the previous record of 18 set in a game over 100 years ago in 1911.
Senior Day Spotlight
* Chuck Alexa has appeared in 44 games with five starts. He has a career record of 6-7 with a 4.68 ERA, two saves and 60 strikeouts in 77.0 innings of work.
* Zach Donnelly has made 59 appearances with a .241 batting average, two doubles, one triple and one home run. He is hitting .275 this season.
* Ian Grant has appeared in 33 games with 14 starts at Rose. He has three career victories and 78 strikeouts in 110.0 innings of work.
* Marcus Wechselberger has appeared in 68 games at Rose with 46 hits, nine doubles, and one triple. Marcus has a career batting average of .267 with 30 runs scored.
Anderson News & Notes (22-16, 11-5 HCAC)
* The Ravens ran into nationally-ranked Franklin College on Tuesday May 1. AU lost both games to the Grizzlies.
* Anderson swept Earlham College this past weekend by final scores of 3-2 and 5-4.
* Senior Nick Butcher ranks second in the HCAC with a .422.