TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology will open the 2019 season against No. 2 ranked Mount Union on Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Old National Bank Night matchup at Cook Stadium.
RHIT NEWS & NOTES:
* ROSE-HULMAN FANS: The game is a RED OUT... so support the Fightin' Engineers by wearing your ROSE-HULMAN RED!
* Rose-Hulman hosts its first game on a new synthetic turf home field in the matchup with No. 2 Mount Union.
* The synthetic turf field will allow for football games and practices; baseball, soccer and softball varsity practices when weather and field conditions require; campus intramural and club sport events; academic projects; and other future possibilities.
* Rose-Hulman averaged 29.8 points per game and 383.0 yards of total offense last fall, while the defense held five opponents to 14 points or less last season.
* In addition to opening the season against the No. 2 ranked team nationally (Mount Union), Rose-Hulman closes the season at No. 3 ranked St. John's (Minn.) on Nov. 16.
* The roster includes five projected returning all-conference performances from the 2018 campaign. Linebacker Jack Heyl and wide receiver Noah Thomas were first-team all-HCAC selections, and quarterback Andrew Dion, tight end Bryce Dobbs and running back Garrett Wight were second-team all-league selections.
* Head coach Jeff Sokol enters the 2019 season with the highest percentage among Rose-Hulman football coaches in program history. Sokol has a record of 53-28 (.654) in his ninth-year as head coach. Sokol's career HCAC record is 47-17 (.734).
* Rose-Hulman's fan spirit group - The Herd - will host its first fan event of the 2019 season at Saturday's home opener. Students are invited to a hamburger and hot dog cookout - and will receive free T-shirts while they last - starting at 6 p.m. The game will kickoff at 7 p.m.
MOUNT UNION NOTES:
* Mount Union is the gold standard of NCAA Division III football programs with 13 national championships, including nine since 2000. The Purple Raiders most recently won NCAA Division III national titles in 2012, 2015 and 2017.
* Since 2000, Mount Union has an overall record of 252-12.
* Four Mount Union players were selected D3football.com first-team preseason All-Americans for the upcoming 2019 season. First-team honorees include wide receiver Justin Hill; offensive tackle Brendan Klaus; defensive end Andrew Roesch; and linebacker Trey Williams.
* Mount Union won the first ever meeting between these two teams last season.
DID YOU KNOW?
* Junior Noah Thomas set a Rose-Hulman school record for single-season receiving yards (932) in 2019, despite missing 10 quarters due to injury.