TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology hits the road for Memphis and a matchup with Rhodes College on Saturday night at 7 p.m. Central Time (8 p.m. Eastern time). The Fightin' Engineers and Lynx were in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference together from 1998-2005, after formerly being in the College Athletic Conference together from 1973-1988. Rhodes won the first meeting since 2005 last season at RHIT.
NEW RHIT SYNTHETIC FIELD: TIME LAPSE VIDEO OF NEW FIELD INSTALLATION
RHIT NEWS & NOTES:
* Rose-Hulman has the toughest non-conference schedule in NCAA Division III football this season. In addition to Saturday's game at Rhodes, the Fightin' Engineers also face preseason No. 2 Mount Union and preseason No. 3 St. John's (Minn.).
* The Fightin' Engineers played their first home game on a new synthetic field last weekend. The field will be dedicated during the 2019 Homecoming game against Franklin.
* Rose-Hulman lost its season opener to No. 2 ranked Mount Union, a team with 13 national championships and five appearances in the NCAA Division III national championship game since 2012.
* The Fightin' Engineer offense did have two big plays against the powerful Mount Union defense, with Andrew Dion and Noah Thomas connecting on a 60-yard touchdown pass and Shane Welshans sprinting 68 yards for a touchdown.
* Rose-Hulman averaged 29.8 points per game and 383.0 yards of total offense last fall, while the defense held five opponents to 14 points or less last season.
* The 2019 roster includes five returning all-conference performances from the 2018 campaign. Linebacker Jack Heyl and wide receiver Noah Thomas were first-team all-HCAC selections, and quarterback Andrew Dion, tight end Bryce Dobbs and running back Garrett Wight were second-team all-league selections.
* Rhodes finished 5-5 last season and dropped the 2019 season opener at Illinois College 22-7 on Saturday night.
* Jace Franklin (5-13, 58 yards) and Mitch Batschelett (3-10, 33 yards) split time at quarterback. Dontae Gray led the running game with 33 yards on 14 carries.
* Tony Heyward led the defense with 10 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, 1 sack and 1 forced fumble. Trent Holt added nine tackles and one interception.
* Rhodes leads 12-11-1
* Current Streak: Rhodes won 1
* Last Meeting: Rhodes 43, Rose-Hulman 19 (2018)
* Last Rose-Hulman Win: Rose-Hulman 16, Rhodes 13 (2005)
DID YOU KNOW?
* Andrew Dion needs 83 passing yards to become the 7th quarterback in RHIT history to pass for 4,000 career yards.