TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology travels to Earlham College for the annual John Mutchner Cup Game on Saturday at 4 p.m. The John Mutchner Cup is named for the former Rose-Hulman men's basketball coach and athletic director from 1963-88 who was also a standout student-athlete at Earlham. He has been inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame at both institutions. John and his wife Norma are fixtures at Rose-Hulman men's basketball home games today.
Rose-Hulman (15-7, 11-4 HCAC) News & Notes:
- Rose-Hulman remains in contention for the HCAC title, just one game behind Hanover entering Saturday's matchups. The Fightin' Engineers are tied for 2nd in the HCAC with Transylvania at 11-4 in league games.
Rose-Hulman leads the HCAC in field goal percentage (47.5%), three-point percentage (37.7%), free-throw percentage (76.8%), and rebounding margin (+5.9 per game) entering Saturday's game. Rose-Hulman is one of four HCAC teams averaging between 73 and 75 points per game (73.7).
- Charlie Aimone, who ranks 13th in school history with 1,278 career points, leads the team in scoring at 14.0 points per game.
- Craig McGee hit the game winning shot with 2.3 seconds left in Wednesday's 67-65 win over Franklin. McGee also led all players with a season-high 21 points in the victory.
- John Czarnecki recorded his fourth career double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds against Franklin on Wednesday.
- Rose-Hulman has won 24 of its last 31 HCAC regular season games dating back to last season.
- After Saturday's game, Rose-Hulman hits the road for Anderson next Wednesday night.
The Opponent: Earlham (6-16, 5-10 HCAC)
- Earlham enters Saturday's game in a tight battle for the final HCAC Tournament spot.
- Six teams will qualify for the HCAC Tournament that takes place later this month. The Quakers are one game behind the two-way tie for sixth between Franklin and Manchester.
- Darrell Hutchison leads Earlham in scoring at 15.3 points per game. Jamel Barnes is also a double figure scorer at 11.8 points per contest.