TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology faces Franklin College in round one of the HCAC Tournament on Friday at 8 p.m. The three-day event will be hosted by Hanover College.
HCAC Men's Basketball Tournament Pairings:
Opening Round - Friday, Feb. 22 (at No. 1 Hanover)
Game 1: No. 5 Anderson (11-14) vs. No. 4 Bluffton (16-8), 6 p.m.
Game 2: No. 6 Franklin (11-14) vs. No. 3 Rose-Hulman (17-8), 8 p.m.
Semifinals - Saturday, Feb. 23 (at No. 1 Hanover)
Game 3: No. 1 Hanover (19-6) vs. Game 1 Winner, 5 p.m.
Game 4: No. 2 Transylvania (16-9) vs. Game 2 Winner, 7 p.m.
Championship - Sunday, Feb. 24 (at No. 1 Hanover)
Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Winner, 2 p.m.
Rose-Hulman (17-8, 13-5 HCAC) News & Notes:
- Rose-Hulman hopes to win three games in three days to secure a bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament. The Fightin' Engineers face Franklin at 8 pm Friday in the opening round game.
- Rose-Hulman has reached the HCAC Tournament Championship Game five times in the last seven years. The Fightin' Engineers won and reached the NCAA Tournament in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Rose-Hulman has an all-time record of 15-15 in postseason conference tournament play with championships in 1996, 2012, 2013 and 2014.
- Charlie Aimone leads Rose-Hulman in scoring at 14.8 points per game this season. Aimone scored a season-high 29 points on Senior Day against Manchester and ranks 10th in school history with 1,341 points.
- Craig McGee ranks second on the team in scoring (12.3 ppg) and rebounding (5.2 rpg). He also leads the team in assists (115) and steals (33). In just season, McGee already ranks 12th in RHIT history in career assists (272).
- John Czarnecki also averages double figures at 10.2 points per game. Czarnecki has recorded four double-doubles in the last 11 games.
Rose-Hulman leads the HCAC in field goal percentage (46.9%), three-point percentage (36.5%), and rebounding margin (+6.0 per game) entering Saturday's game. Rose-Hulman is one of five HCAC teams averaging between 72.0 and 76.0 points per game. All five of those teams qualified for the HCAC Tournament.
- Rose-Hulman hopes to add to its NCAA Tournament tradition by winning the HCAC Tournament. The Fightin' Engineers seek their 12th NCAA Tournament appearance and have a record of 5-11 in NCAA games.
The Opponent: Franklin (11-14, 9-9 HCAC)
- Franklin is perhaps the hottest team in the HCAC entering the league tournament, winning seven of its last eight games to qualify for the event.
- Franklin has won three games in a row since a narrow 67-65 loss at Rose-Hulman on Feb. 6. The win streak includes victories over Mount St. Joseph, Transylvania and Bluffton.
- Kale Morris (13.3 ppg), Sam Gutierrez (13.2 ppg) and Matt Krause (10.0 ppg) are double figure scorers for the Grizzlies.
- 36th year head coach Kerry Prather crossed the 500-win mark in his career after the team's first victory this season.