TERRE HAUTE, Ind -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and Earlham College meet in the John Mutchner Cup Game on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. inside Hulbert Arena. The Cup is named for Rose-Hulman's 25-year head basketball coach and athletic director who was also a standout student-athlete at Earlham. John Mutchner is in the Athletic Hall of Fame at both institutions. The Cup is awarded one time per year, and this season will be awarded to Wednesday's winner.
Rose-Hulman (5-6, 3-2 HCAC) News & Notes:
- Rose-Hulman leads the John Mutchner Cup series with Earlham 15-5 in a series that began in 2000.
- Rose-Hulman has a 3-game winning streak entering Wednesday's matchup. The Fightin' Engineers have wins over Bluffton, Wabash and Hanover in the streak.
- Junior Craig McGee has been named HCAC Men's Basketball Player of the Week for his 23-point, 7-rebound, 7-assist performance in Saturday's 73-57 win over Hanover.
- McGee leads the Fightin' Engineers in scoring (18.6 ppg), rebounds (8.3 rpg), assists (7.0 apg) and steals (1.6 spg). He has career totals of 867 points, 356 rebounds and 343 assists at Rose-Hulman. The junior already ranks No. 4 in Rose-Hulman history in career assists.
- McGee, a D3News preseason honorable mention All-American, recorded the first triple-double in 113 years of Rose-Hulman men's basketball history against Defiance in December.
- Three players have crossed 20 points in a game this season for the Fightin' Engineers. Craig McGee has four 20-point performances, and both Zach Callahan and Trey Wurtz have one each.
Head coach Rusty Loyd enters contest with a career record of 84-59. Loyd has led Rose-Hulman to one regular season confrence title and two appearances in the HCAC Tournament Championship Game.
- After Wednesday's game, Rose-Hulman travels to Mount St. Joseph on Saturday at 4 pm for another HCAC matchup.
Earlham (5-6, 1-3 HCAC) News & Notes:
- Earlham stands 5-6 overall and earned an HCAC road win at Transylvania in December.
- Chainey Zolman leads the Quakers with an average of 15.9 points per game. Jamel Barnes (14.1 ppg), Kenneth Stalling (11.7 ppg) and Blake Bonin (10.1 ppg) also average double figures.
- Earlham is trying to regain the John Mutchner Cup for the first time since 2013, when the Quakers earned a 68-66 home victory.