TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology opens the 2019 softball season on Monday, when the Fightin' Engieners face Saint Mary's (Minn.) at 9:30 a.m. and Northern Vermont-Johnson at 11:45 a.m. at the Legends Way Fields in Clermont, Florida.
Rose-Hulman (0-0, 0-0 HCAC) News & Notes:
- Rose-Hulman opens the 2019 softball season with its annual Florida trip. The Fightin' Engineers play doubleheaders on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday in Florida.
- Rose-Hulman returns six varsity letter winners from the 2018 squad. Honorable mention all-Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference honoree Maddie Struble leads the offensive returners after batting .356 with nine doubles and 37 total hits.
- Other returnees include senior infielder Bryly Shipman; senior outfielder Erin Minervini; junior pitcher/infielder Alexis Price; junior infielder Jessica Thuer; and sophomore outfielder Hannah Bach.
- Sophomore Emily Struble adds college experience after transferring to Rose-Hulman from Olivet Nazarene. Juniors Maddy Twetten and Rhiannon Turneralso offer varsity sport experience to their inaugural softball seasons.
- The team also includes six freshmen. Gabrielle Davidson and Angela Boulboulle join Price and Emily Struble as options for the pitching circle and the infield. Other newcomers include freshmen Addie Collier, Christina Gray, Maddie Sorensen and Sarah Shoemaker.
- Rose-Hulman was picked to finish eighth in the HCAC standings this season, according to the preseason coaches poll.
- St. Mary's (Minn.) opens the 2019 season with two games on Sunday. Last season, the Cardinals finished 14-26.
- Northern Vermont-Johnson opens the 2019 season with two games on Sunday. Last season, the Badgers finished 6-22.