TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology will open the 2017 volleyball season at the Washington University Bear Invitational on Friday and Saturday in St. Louis.
WEEKEND SCHEDULE AND LIVE COVERAGE:
Rose-Hulman at Washington U. - Friday Sept. 1 - 6 pm CT (LIVE STATS / VIDEO)
Rose-Hulman vs. Hendrix - Friday Sept. 1 - 8 pm CT (LIVE STATS)
Rose-Hulman vs. Webster - Saturday Sept. 2 - 10:30 am CT (LIVE STATS / VIDEO)
Rose-Hulman vs. Dominican - Saturday Sept. 2 - 12:30 pm CT (No live in-game coverage)
RHIT NEWS & NOTES:
* Heather (Schierer) Davis makes her debut as interim volleyball coach of the Fightin' Engineers this weekend. Davis is a 2013 graduate of Bluffton University.
* Two Rose-Hulman players were named first-team all-HCAC and first-time CoSIDA Academic All-District in 2016. Senior Gabi Razma and junior Bailey MacInnis both earned first-team all-league recognition for their efforts on the court and were named to one of six spots on the CoSIDA Academic All-District VII Team for their combined efforts in the classroom.
* Rose-Hulman was picked to finish 4th in the HCAC this season, according to the league coaches poll released August 11. The team finished 15-17 last season and advanced to the semifinals of the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament.
* The Fightin' Engineers will have two opportunities to pick up their first ever win over a nationally ranked volleyball team this weekend.
MEET THE OPPOSITION:
* Washington U. is ranked No. 3 nationally in the AVCA Division III Coaches Top 25 Preseason Poll. The Bears were the national runner-up in 2016 after falling to Calvin in the NCAA championship match. Washington U. finished the campaign with a 27-11 record against one of the nation's toughest schedules.
* Hendrix stands No. 20 in the AVCA Division III Coaches Top 25 Presason Poll. The Warriors finished 25-8 last season and reached the NCAA Division III Round of 32. The NCAA Tournament path for Hendrix included a win over No. 12 Trinity (Texas) and a loss to No. 4 Texas-Dallas in the national tournament.
* Webster finished 19-13 last season and compiled a 13-5 mark in St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play. The Gorloks reached the semifinals of the SLIAC Tournament.
* Dominican compiled a 12-21 record last season and reached the semifinals of the Northern Athletic Conference Tournament.